A Military Tour of Christ Church Cemetery
Christ Church Cemetery lies south of Manlius Village Cemetery. To access it, take the first entrance into the village cemetery off Seneca Street from Manlius Village. Proceed over the hill to about 30 feet past the green pole where the stones are positioned east to west. Grave site #1 is west of the road. The lots are longer than they appear in print, but the alleyways and flags serve as a guide.
The easiest walk for examining grave sites is #1 to #102. Numbers 1 and 2 under the arrow on the second map are difficult to read. This blown-up copy comes from the original 1872 plan of the Manlius Church-Yard shown on map one. The Manlius Church-Yard, now known as Manlius Village Cemetery, abuts Christ Church Cemetery. After #102, exit as shown on the map. In the southeast sector is the Memorial Garden and the newest burial ground.
That Revolutionary War soldiers are buried in the cemeteries is noted by the Daughters of the American Revolution on markers at this entrance and at the Military Drive entrance. According to Town Historian Barbara Rivette, the Sons of the American Revolution installed markers in Christ Church Cemetery at the graves of twenty-four Revolutionary War soldiers before 1951.
The following is a table of those gravesites that are included in the Military Tour. The Number to the left is the Tour Number and is the reference used in the Tour Pages. The lot number and distance from line is noted at the far right. The old cemetery book is at the Manlius Historical Society, 109 Pleasant St., Manlius in its fireproof safe.