A brief ceremony was held on Memorial Day 2003 to commemorate the placement of grave stones at the Grave Sites of two Unknown Soldiers from the War of 1812.
Our Thanks to:
Tom Schepp, Michael Small and David Zinger
Newell-Fay Funeral Home in Manlius
for underwriting the cost for
preparation and placement of the stones.
The Christ Church Cemetery in Manlius contains grave sites of two unknown soldiers who died during the War of 1812. These grave sites were unmarked for some time. This has been addressed with the placement of a grave stone at each site.
Research by Kathleen J. Crowell and town historian Barbara S. Rivette has not revealed the identity of the two soldiers. However, it is known that both died during the War of 1812 and both were members of the 23rd Regiment, U.S. Infantry.
The 23rd Regiment of Infantry was authorized by Congress on June 26th, 1812. It was a New York Regiment originally authorized to recruit in northern New York as well as in Vermont. The regiment was present at the following battles and engagements in New York and Canada:
Queenston Heights, October 13, 1812
Detachment opposite Black Rock, NY November 28, 1812
Ft. George, Upper Canada, May 27, 1813
Stony Point and Sacketts Harbor, NY, May 29, 1813
Stoney Creek, Upper Canada, June 5-6, 1813
Beaver Creek, Upper Canada, June 24, 1813
Detachment at La Colle Mill, Lower Canada, March 30, 1814
Ft. Erie, Upper Canada, July 3, 1814
Lundy's Lane, Upper Canada, July 25, 1814
Ft. Erie, Upper Canada, August 1-31, 1814 and September 17, 1814.
The dates of death of April 1813 and October 1813 of the unknown soldiers is probably close to the time of burial. It is clear that they were not engaged on the battlefront at the time of their death and may have died from disease somewhere near, or in, Manlius. Although Manlius Village is not known to have had a military hospital, there is fragmentary evidence that troops did pass through Manlius during the War. Many decades after the War, Orson Smith of Fayetteville wrote that he witnessed Winfield Scott's men go through Chittenango late in November 1813 and that the soldiers stayed overnight in Manlius. And on January 4, 1814, in one of the few remaining copies of "The Manlius Times," editor Leonard Kellogg noted that "a large number of sleighs and wagons loaded with arms and ammunition have passed through this village yesterday and today for the frontiers."
The placement of the stones was commemorated by a brief ceremony presided over by Reverend James Corl.
A gun salute and taps were provided by the Town of Manlius VFW Post 7872 Color Guard. Color Guard team members were Charles Chapman, Dan Delaney - Senior Vice Commander of the Post; Dan's brother, Jim Delaney, and Frank Hrynio. Taps was played by Jamie McGill. The Color Guard also serves with the Village of Fayetteville American Legion Post 369.
Placement of the stones is part of an ongoing program to complete the restoration of Christ Church Cemetery. This effort supplements the annual maintenance provided by Christ Church and has been inspired, in part, by the extensive research done regarding the biographical history of the 105 veterans interred there. This research is embodied in a work entitled "A Military Tour of Christ Church Cemetery" by Kathleen Crowell which is available at our local libraries and on the internet. Many veterans of the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, the Civil War, World War I and World War II are interred at Christ Church Cemetery.
In the fall of 2002, parishioner Chris Whyte completed the placement of markers corresponding to the Military Tour at each of the military grave sites. This effort was part of his Eagle project as a member of Fayetteville Scout Troop 152.
Christ Church Cemetery was vandalized on October 17, 1991, during which approximately 100 tombstones, large and small, were toppled. Winds in excess of 100 m.p.h. did additional damage on Labor Day, 1998. Christ Church is endeavoring to repair this situation. Anyone interested in participating in the restoration effort can inquire during business hours at Christ Church (682-5795) or mail contributions payable to the Christ Church Cemetery Restoration Fund, c/o Christ Church, P.O. Box 164, Manlius, New York 13104.